Wednesday 2 January 2013

Winter Decorating at Home

Now that the holidays are over (waa waaa waaa :(  )    it's time to box up all of the Christmas decorations and get back to reality.  BUT...  I still want things to feel a little festive around here & to make it pretty & wintry-feeling so we've been going around the house adding little touches of Winter here & there.  (This is partly because I'm still excited that it's winter & partly  because Winter gets depressing towards the end so I'm trying to keep it fresh!!)

{our new fireplace!!}


 I like to keep things natural & simple & fun (meaning it has to be easy & relatively quick) and I love involving my kids in decorating so they feel a part of things.

When we made snowflakes for Sandy Hook Elementary School, we made a few for ourselves too and hung them on the kitchen doors:

 
 
I may have had more fun than the kids ;) ;)
 
 
 
 We also went on a long walk around our woods & cut holly to put around the house.  I think cutting things from my yard and bringing them inside is one of my absolute favorite things on this planet to do.  I love being outside with my kids and they love coming on a mission with me to find just the right thing. 

{I know I've shown you this picture before but it was such a good, quiet moment for me that I'm sharing it again}

They day we picked the holly it was snowing a little... (above)  The bigger boys (Christian 5, and Justin now 3!!!)  and I got all bundled up and went through the woods.  I cut and they carry.


{holly in the powder room}
 
My grandmother used to (and still does) constantly make arrangements around the house from things she or my grandfather picked up on their walks.  My mom and I lived with them when I was a little girl, and I remember before parties that an arrangement would always go in the guest bath.  I try to do do the same thing myself now at our place. 
 
{my bathroom}
 
Holly lasts a really long time when you bring it in & we've found a few holly trees & bushes around our new house...
 
 
{in the kitchen}
 
Along with the snowflakes & holly we have another little addition to our family room:
 
{deer pillow}
 
It's one of those kitchsy things you love instantly and you know that you're not supposed to like because it's so kitschy-cute but you do anyway...   (I have that feeling towards lots of Christmas things, like the big old vintage colored lights.)  Anyway, I saw them at Pottery Barn & loved them but they were all sold out so my husband secretly found one on Ebay for me & surprised me with it for Christmas.  (love him.)  We have deer all over the place at our new house and so they fit perfectly. 
 
So...  we're still adding touches here and there (and dumping out water from stinky old plants/branches we've brought in) but I'm really enjoying having an (almost!) finished house!!  The majority of the construction on our first floor is finished and the layout of the house is working so well for us.  I looooooove having a kitchen that's completely open to my living room.  Being able to add little pretty things around the house is like the icing on the cake. 
 
Happy New Year to you & yours!!
 
What do you do at home to keep Winter feeling fresh &cozy?
 
 


If you'd like help creating a home you absolutely love, contact me about our design services.
 
And, there's still time to make snowflakes for Sandy Hook Elementary School. 
You can mail them to:
 
Connecticut PTSA
60 Connolly Parkway
Building 12
Suite 103
Hamden, CT 06514

No comments:

Post a Comment